[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:22:41 -0400

Florent Guillaume wrote:

> Jim Fulton  <jim@zope.com> wrote:
> > Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, "--" can appear in lots of
> > > valid filenames, especially since it's the standard ASCII representation
> > > of long hyphens.
> >
> > I've never seen it in any. Have you?
>
> It's not that we have such existing ids, it's that it's one more special
> case to add whenever we create an id for an object from user-supplied
> input.
>
> Okay, maybe not that big a deal, but it doesn't seem clean to me.

I understand. No solution is perfect, unfortunately.  If clients knew
about the parameter syntax (heck, if anyone at the W3c knew about it ;)
we'd be in a better situation. (I had a lunch conversation with
Tim Berners Lee and Dan Connolly who weren't aware of it. :)

We'll have to find some middle ground that is a compromise among
multiple objectives.