[Zope3-dev] spelling of namespace signifiers

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:37:30 -0400

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> Before debating alternatives further, perhaps we should recap the
> *requirements* for namespace handling, and try to come to some agreement
> about their relative priorities.
>
> Basically, the issue is that some type of "escape" is needed to distinguish
> between different namespaces in a URL path.  This escape has the following
> requirements (priorities are my perception):
>
> * It MUST allow for the widest possible variety of content ID's within a
> container
>
> * It MUST NOT interfere with filename extensions as seen by the browser
>
> * It MUST NOT interfere with the file name or path as seen by the local OS
> (e.g., it should not contain OS path separator characters, or characters
> that would make it difficult to use the file.)
>
> * It MUST NOT rely on browsers or web servers to be fully RFC-compliant in
> their handling of parameters, URL escapes, etc.
>
> * It SHOULD BE able to be used in a single path component so that relative
> URLs are simple
>
> * It SHOULD BE easy to read/type
>
> * It WOULD BE NICE if it were not ugly.  :)
>
> Have I missed anything?  Does anybody disagree with the priorities I've used?

This is really nice. Thanks.

Steve mentioned that the syntax should work across multiple schemes if
possible.

I just thought of another this morning. It might be nice if the syntax
was not English-centric. For example, French speakers might not be too
happy with a url like:

    .../(view)sommaire.html

Maybe if *I* wasn't so English-centric, I'd call this a requirement.

Early on, we were considering using single-letter names in parens, not
so much to avoid typing, but to avoid being so blatently English:

    .../(v)sommaire.html

This morning, it occured to me to use:

    .../(oo)sommaire.html

which is more of a hieroglyphic for view. :)