[Zope3-dev] Character Table Revisions

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:01:46 +0000 (UTC)

Phillip J. Eby <pje@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> A question: should we consider moving any of the previously "Probably Ruled
> Out" characters to "Under Consideration"?  For example, "~" is in
> widespread usage, despite being deprecated by RFC 1738, and RFC 2396
> acknowledges this by changing its status to "unreserved".  "*" and "$" are
> considered usable by both RFC's - are the conflicts with metacharacters and
> variable interpolation worth it?  And so on.

"~" is probably ok ; as you mention it, it used to be reserved (I
remember in early www days setting up apache to use /home/foo instead
of ~foo as personnal homepages because "~" was theoretically reserved
then), but it isn't reserved anymore.

"*" I don't have a problem with, I don't see why glob characters are a
problem (interactive shells routinely quote them when doing
completion).

"$" is problematic, we wouldn't be able to use TAL expressions to
traverse to an alternative namespace.

Could you add "~" and "*" to your tests ?

Florent