[Zope3-dev] Final(?) "Safe" Character List

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:43:04 -0400

A bunch of us here in Fredericksburg discussed this at our
weekly "Jam" session and came up with some interesting ideas.

First, I'll suggest that while there are a lot of namespaces
that could show up in URLs, a small number will be common in "outside"
URLs, as opposed to URLs used by site managers and component developers.
Currently, these are the view namespace and the create namespace. For these,
the following hieroglyphics are kinda nice:

@@ for views:

  http://foo.com/folder1/folder2/@@/ManageRolesAndPermissions.html

or:

  http://foo.com/folder1/folder2/@@ManageRolesAndPermissions.html

which I like.

+ for create:

  http://foo.com/folder1/folder2/+/Document/

to accsess a UI for adding a document. I actually, want
the screen that collects the content type to be added to
also collect the content id so you'd have:

  http://foo.com/folder1/folder2/+/Document=mydoc/

I don't like options that add a path step, due to the
way that mucks up relative references (and things like
internal path computations). I don't mind in the case of
+, because that's very specialized (I think) case.

I'm beginning to like Guido's suggestion of using ++
as a general namespace marker, as in:

  http://foo.com/folder/++etc++Services/

So, here's a suggestion:

1. The generalized syntax is: