[Zope3-dev] Packages

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:45:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Paul Everitt wrote:
> Let's say Plone appears for Zope 3.  It contains a number of components
> (presentation, service, adapters, etc.) plus configuration files to
> allow people to adapt and customize it.
>
> There is nothing inside Plone that is actually called "Plone".  Instead,
> you have things like Site, Document, etc. (just being hypothetical).

I would expect this to be the exceptional case.  I would expect
there to be a top level package named Plone, just as there is
a top level package named Zope in Zope3.  I'm open to argument,
though <grin>.

> Thus, Plone is kind of <fill in the blank>.  Plone-2.0.1.tgz is a kind
> of <fill in the blank>.

If there is no top level Plone, then I'd say the blank gets filled
in with "a collection of Packages in a single tarball".  Well,
a collection of pythonthings, since distutils can handle both
packages and individual modules.

>    d. Use distutils plus PEP 241:
>
>      http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0241.html

+1