[Zope3-dev] Packages

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Steve Alexander wrote:

> Matt Behrens wrote:
> >
> > I don't think this helps Paul out right now, but "package" is a
> > confusing name for this, given package is used (at the very least
> > in the distutils vernacular) to refer to a pure Python package, a
> > directory filled with .py's.
>
> That's pretty much what they are in Zope3 too. :-)
>
> A Package is a directory with an __init__.py in it, right?
>
> Usually it contains other files too.

But would every _python_ package qualify as one of these Zope-product
"packages"?  If we use the name "package", then they better.  If not every
python package qualifies then we'll be confusing the shit out of everyone,
being ambiguious about whether we're referring to arbitrary python
packages or zope-product packages.

I expect that we need to distinguish these things, and in case it's not
apparent, would favor "product".

--
Ken
klm@zope.com