[Zope3-dev] New warning in stupid_build.py

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:51:54 -0400

> On Friday 14 June 2002 10:24, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > This code from stupid_build.py:
> >
> >     if not os.path.exists('principals.zcml'):
> >         print """WARNING: You need to create principals.zcml
> >
> >         The file principals.zcml contains your "bootstrap" user
> >         database. You aren't going to get very far without it.  Start
> >         by copying principals.zcml.in and then look at
> >         sample_principals.zcml for some example principal and role
> >         settings.
> >         """
> >
> > belongs in z3.py.
> >
> > Agreed?
>
> Can't we just ask the user for an admin user name and password and
> auto-generate the first principals.zcml... ?

There are other things you may want to do with a Zope checkout besides
running Zope.  The file principals.zcml is not needed to run the
tests, for example, nor when you want to use ZODB or BTrees or any of
the other advertised "Zope-independent" packages in some other
program.

The build program simply has no business doing this.

The z3 program should probably refuse to run if principals.zcml
doesn't exist, rather than exit with a traceback.

I'll fix this now.