[Zope3-dev] ? vs $

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:58:17 -0400

> You can? I thought this undocumented feature was gone.
> It *is* undocumented (isn't it?).
>
> The rational for using ? was that ? isn't legal in Zope
> names.
>
> I would prefer to treat this as a non-feature. In fact,
> I would go so far as to take it out.
>
> If someone really wants this, we ought to think harder about
> how to provide it.

It is now used in the jobboard example.  The alternative was to use a
"python expression", which looks horrible.  So we need to think about
how to provide it.

> > I believe that in string expressions you can use $foo to expand a
> > variable:

> > Why can't we use $jobid in the first example?
>
> Because it's not a string expression.

That doesn't really answer my qestion.  We need the feature.  Why not
spell it the same in default TALES expressions as in string
expressions?  Even if the detailed rules are not 100% the same, it's
still easier if they both use the same metacharacters.