[Zope3-dev] ? vs $

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:36:30 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Suppose the value of bar is "baz/splat". I might
> > expect:
> >
> >   foo/$bar
> >
> > to be equivalent to:
> >
> >   foo/baz/splat
>
> That's what I think it should do.
>
> > but part of the value of foo/?bar is that it
> > allows you to use '/' in a name.
>
> Do you *really* want to have an escape to include a / in a pathname
> component?  That sounds like an invitation for obfuscation.

You can traverse to objects in TALES that you can't traverse to in
URLs. We might be looking up an item in a dictionary. Lets say I'm
iterating over the keys in some dictionary and want to display
a value. I wouldn't want the meaning of the path expression to change just
because the key happened to contain some magic character.