[Zope3-dev] Job Board Example

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:39:53 -0300

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:41:45PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Here's another bug.  When I specify my preferences in this order:
>
>   en-us
>   it
>   en
>   nl
>
> I get the Italian translation.  I would have expected to get the
> English one.

Not if the English one is specified as "en". According to the http content
negotiation spec, it's ok to serve "en-us" if the user requested "en", but
it's not ok to serve "en" if the user requested "en-us".

This rule may sound silly, but it's very convenient for languages with more
variation. For example, if I configure my browser to request "pt-br" I'm
sure to get something I can understand; "pt-pt" is a bit strange for
Brazilians and I can understand "en-us" better than "pt-pt", and it only
gets worse for the dialects of Angola and Macao.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Eu jogo RPG! (I play RPG)         http://www.eujogorpg.com.br/
Python Foundry Guide http://www.sf.net/foundry/python-foundry/