[Zope3-dev] Building placeful services

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:37:38 -0400

Hi all.  I'd like to get some of the placeful Component Architecture
services built.  I was waiting on the Packaging service to land (or
enough info to help build it :-) before I tackled this, but now I want
to play around with some things that require at least a start on
placeful CA services.  So:

1) If I build some prototyped simple placeful services that just use
"provide"-type interfaces for adding components to them for now, I'm
guessing they will be reasonably good starting points for the real
things once the Packaging service arrives.  Anyone mind if I check these
into CVS when I get them done?  Zope.App.OFS.Services.AdapterService and
so, I guess.

2) If that's ok, then to proceed: I think it would be useful to have a
persistent ItoIRegistry around for our placeful services (yes, in
*addition* to the clean one currently in Zope.ComponentArchitecture).
 I'm guessing this can be very simple:

from Zope.ComponentArchitecture.IToIRegistry import IToIRegistry
from Persistence import Persistent, PersistentMapping

class PersistentIToIRegistry(ItoIRegistry, Persistent):

    def __init__(self):
        self._reg = PersistentMapping()

...and then, for completeness, all the rest of the variations in the
current IToIRegistry.

I figure we could put this in
Zope.App.ComponentArchitecture.PersistentIToIRegistry.

Are there any objections or good reasons not to proceed with that?

Gary