[Zope3-dev] Re: bitio routines licensing (fwd)

Matt Hamilton matth@netsight.co.uk
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:52:46 +0000 (GMT)

Paul,
  I got a response from the author today:

----
I have now had an exchange with Neil Sharman. We are agreed that
you may make use of the two files you asked about, and may remove
the GPL licencing conditions from them. My guess is that the best
way to handle it is for you to add your standard ZPL file header,
and then extend it by including a note along the lines of:

"This software was written by Neil Sharman and Alistair
Moffat, and was originally part of the MG Retrieval System (see
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mg/).  It is used here, and made available
under the terms of the ZPL, with the permission of the authors. The
original authors provide no warranty or indemnity, and no stipulation
as to fitness for any purpose. For further information, contact
alistair@cs.mu.oz.au."

(Or something equivalent to that in legal-speak if you have lawyers that
get involved; I am certainly not proposing to use any lawyers. I just
want to make sure that we are (a) named, and (b) carry no liability for
anything).

        Alistair Moffat, alistair@cs.mu.oz.au
----

However someone just pointed out to me, that since they are still the
copyright holders then how could I assume joint copyright with ZC?  surely
the copyright would need to be shared by Alistair Moffat (the author) and
ZC.  In which case does he then need to sign the committers agreement?

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                         matth@netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.          Business Vision on the Internet