[Zope3-dev] Re: Problems with Moz security

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:03:11 -0600

>Heh. :) No XPCOM components are accessible to any web loaded XUL content, so
>not my XML-RPC client either.. IIRC, there was once a pref (in the
>javascript-based preference file) you could switch access to XPCOM from the
>web on; dangerous and not very suitable for general distribution of your XUL
>views,

Yeah, I tried that and failed.

>There are two ways of solving this; making your package a locla install (not
>really that hard), or don't use my XML-RPC component. Use XMLHttpRequest
>instead and a DOM based XML-RPC client (doesn't scale as well as my stream
>based one, but hey, that is what you can get). For XMLHttpRequest docs, see:

I guess we should go with that. I want to make it a design goal not to have
local components, since this way it will be much easier to keep the client
updated with the server functionality.

>   http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/

>There is a JS library that does just that; the library also works in IE:
>
>   http://www.vcdn.org/Public/XMLRPC/

Mmmh, this would be a nice option. Reuse data communication code for XUL
and IE JavaScript or ActiveX.

>A third option would be to implement SOAP support in Zope3 and use the
>forthcoming SOAP support in Mozilla (not yet enabled in any release, I
>believe).

Probably a good idea once they and we get their/our act together and get
decent support for it.

Regards,
Stephan

--