[Zope3-dev] Progress

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 01:35:16 -0600

At 07:28 AM 3/4/2002 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
>Stephan Richter wrote:
> >
> > okay I just checked in my weekend+ net worth of coding. I checked the
> > branch this time and it compiles and runs the servers. For more I am not
> > guaranteeing, since there are no tests yet for the new functionality.
>
>D'oh! Write the tests first!

Easy said, if you have no clue about this stuff. In situations where I am
able to do this, I WILL do it. After all, I also attended a sprint before!

> > - XML-RPC support
>
>...especially for something as major as that!

Well, this works only if you know the existing code base well. I had no
clue what I was doing until I was fairly deep into it. Then I found myself
rearranging ALL of ZoepPublication, in which case all the tests would have
been intermingled. All I have to say (out of experience now) is that
writing tests at the beginning does not always work, since it requires a
sound understanding of the problem domain, which I did not have at the time
I started.

Regards,
Stephan

--