[Zope3-dev] Offer to Help Write User Documentation/Tutorials

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:57:28 -0500

> I have Acrobat 5, which has good spidering facilities and leverages CSS.
>   Thus I could produce a self-contained PDF if that would help people.
>
> --Paul

Thanks, Paul.  I have it too; when I have a sec later today I'll spit out
what I have so far in Word into a pdf and see if anybody is interested or
has feedback.  It's >70 pages at the moment, with *very* large sections not
included yet.  Let no-one say Zope3 has no docs.  :-)

I initially tried spidering with wget but that proved to be grossly
inefficient.  I would need to really do a careful wget setup to not download
the backlinks, edit pages, etc.  I went down that path a bit but then I (a)
didn't want the Zope "frame" around the content and (b) wanted to
hand-control the organization.  Wiki organization does not translate
one-to-one with doc organization, to my taste anyway.  And wget had trouble
correctly translating the links to files without extensions...  I assume
Acrobat would have at least some of the same spidering complications.

Unfortunately, hand-control means that I'm creating a one-time wiki
translation, not something that can automatically maintain itself as the
wiki changes. So be it.  Word 2000 is doing most of the hard work anyway,
and this is helping me get a handle on the big picture.

So let me send out what I have later today and folks can tell me if anyone
else finds it helpful or has any feedback.  I've included an automated table
of contents, slightly expanded the glossary, and absent-mindedly corrected
some spelling and grammar stuff.

Thanks

Gary