[Zope3-dev] Can we remove ZopeLegacy for now?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:12:12 -0500

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> At 05:55 PM 3/11/02 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >Stephan Richter wrote:

> > > What about DateTime?
> >
> >Hm, what for?
> >
> > > My branch uses this. We should have a replacement.
> >
> >Python labs is working on something. Could you write up a draft
> >interface or document that documents the features you are depending
> >on?
>
> Is this a general call for date/time type requirements?  :)

Yes.

> Ty and I have
> a pure-Python date/time library we use that supports recognition and
> parsing of a wide variety of human-readable date/time formats,

I'll go farther than Guido and say that this is an anti requirement. :)
That is, a DateTime type should *not* do parsing. Parsing should be the
responsibility of some other component.

> and supports
> time zones and Unix times well (e.g. you can convert between timezones by
> changing the zone attribute of a date/time object).

I think time zones are an important requirement of a date-time type. Tim
Peters has rightfully asked for time-zone use cases. If you have time-zome
use cases, they'd be helpful.

> Of course, if we can implement our extra features by subclassing the new
> standard type, that's probably quite acceptable.  :)

Or by puting the features in application-level components or adapters.