[Fwd: [Zope3-dev] Date/Time requirements]

Hannu Krosing hannu@itmeedia.ee
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:24:38 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Alexander" <steve@cat-box.net>
To: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
Cc: <zope3-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Zope3-dev] Date/Time requirements]

> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Don't tell just me, tell the list!
> >
> > I think Steve has an important point on precision here, which he made on
IRC,
> > but which I forgot...
> >
> > please capture :-)
>
> I already mailed about this to python-dev, at Guido's request.
>
> After some thought, the python-dev-ers decided that it was outside the
> scope for this current minimal project. Which I'm fine with :)

I still think that at least the _concept_ of precision should be built in
from the start.

It could be always 0.001 ms by default, even if date is input as "19th
century",
but I think it is important that it is there, so people need not come up
with their
own way of doing it every time.

As an acceptable simplification I would exclude overlapping precisions (so
week
and night are out)

On TZ and DST I think that the actual value is what is important, not name.

I'll try to post this on the wiki sometime today too.

Hannu