[Zope3-dev] Time zone use case

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:06:28 -0500

[Wade Leftwich]
> With some trepidation I have added this use case to the wiki at
> http://www.zope.org/Members/fdrake/DateTimeWiki/SuggestedRequirements
>
> - Collect reports from a number of branch offices.
> - Each report has a local date and time, and a Windows time zone.
> - Store reports with a UTC timestamp added, so they can be sorted
>   by "actual" date and time

Thanks, Wade!  That's helpful.

Could you elaborate on what "Windows time zone" means?  I've been using
Windows for years, and don't recall ever seeing one except when setting the
clock for the first time.  Is it, e.g., one or more of

- A 3-character symbolic name (EST, CDT)?
- A long name (Eastern, U.S. Central)?
- A signed offset from UTC?  (-0500)?

Show us some real examples, please, and/or point to a spec.

In addition, are you expected some canned way to parse whatever "local date
and time" strings Windows produces?  In multiple languages?  Etc.