[Zope3-dev] Can we remove ZopeLegacy for now?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:50:29 -0600

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Jim Fulton]
> > I think time zones are an important requirement of a date-time
> > type. Tim Peters has rightfully asked for time-zone use cases. If
> > you have time-zome use cases, they'd be helpful.
>
> [Guido van Rossum]
> > Let me emphasize that.  Unless there are some use cases and
> > requirements in the Wiki, the new datetime class won't have any
> > timezone support.  Here's the Wiki:
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/fdrake/DateTimeWiki/FrontPage
>
> Let me emphasize that more <wink>.  This is also mixed in with "daylight
> savings time" (DST).

[snip]

Here is a copy of what I posted to the wiki. Hope it helps.

 Timezone use case:

 A shared calendar web application. Data is stored in ZODB. We have Event
objects. An event is scheduled in advance of its occurence and has a
datetime attribute representing the start of the event. A single event (a
telephone conference call, for example) can be associated with more than one
person. Each person may be in a different timezone. As each person views the
list of events on their schedules, they will see each event (the telephone
conference call in which they will participate, for example) datetime value
represented in their local timezone. They can also see the local time for
each of the other people who will participate in the same event.

 An event scheduling application. Person A in timezone A is setting
appointments for Person B in timezone B. Person A sets appointments with
people in all timezones in the world. Person B tells Person A when they will
be available for appointments. Person B represents these start/stop
datetimes in their own timezone. When Person A calls people around the
world, Person A must be able to see Person B's availability reflected in the
timezone of the person they are calling, since the person being called
expects to be able to set an appointment from the point of view of their own
timezone. All appointments are recorded in a shared calendar as described
above.

 I hope this helps. This is part of a real application that I am developing
using ZODB. I have not gotten to the calendar part yet, but I will in a
month or two, which is why I have a real interest in the end result of the
new datetime type.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech