[Zope3-dev] Can we remove ZopeLegacy for now?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:13:51 -0600

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Jim]
> > I think time zones are an important requirement of a date-time
> > type. Tim Peters has rightfully asked for time-zone use cases. If
> > you have time-zome use cases, they'd be helpful.
>
> Let me emphasize that.  Unless there are some use cases and
> requirements in the Wiki, the new datetime class won't have any
> timezone support.  Here's the Wiki:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/fdrake/DateTimeWiki/FrontPage

I just added this to the wiki:

The Ultimate Timezone Use Case: 42

Without knowing the question, the answer (42) is meaningless. Likewise,
without knowing the timezone, times (4:20 on April 20) are meaningless (or
at least annoyingly ambiguous in any context involving more than one
timezone). Any application that shares data among users in more than one
timezone will need to know the timezone of datetime objects or will suffer
from its absense.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech