[Zope3-dev] The Date Time and TimeZone question

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:52:46 +0100

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>

> I have no desire to couple Python's standard datetime implementation
> to a 3rd party library.  Nor does Zope, I'm sure.

There seem to be a fairly standard way on unix to find timezone information.
There is a standard way of doing it on Windows. I assume there are standard
ways of doing the same on Macintosh. I'm pretty sure all of them are
incompatible. :-)

If you aren't going to use the standard tools availiable on the platforms
you are running on, you have to implement Yet Another Incompatible TimeZone
System, and keep track of the updates and changes in time zones yourself.
Who is going to change Python time zone database when the DST dates change
in Elbonia?

This is not the first time in history the problems of time zones have been
encountered. They have already been solved. I don't see why the wheel has to
be reinvented unless there was something fundamentally flawed with all the
old wheels. :-)