[Zope3-dev] a note on groups and roles

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:03:23 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:38:17AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> > (Is it possible to assign one role to another role?  A SuperDeveloper
> > had developer and super roles?)
>
> No, and I don't think it should be possible either. A role consists of the
> permissions needed to perform the tasks you need in an organisational role.
> Making groups of roles would add an level of indirection that really has no
> purpose, and it will only make the user interface more complicated.

Assuming that we still need to keep roles as you say (and I've gotta
say, Jeremy's making a LOT of sense), why would we not want to be
able to make hierarchical roles?  Here's an example.

We have a workflow application I'm hopefully deploying soon, and
the first thing it's going to cover is development requests.  Here
we have a couple roles: Development Manager, Application Administrator.
In one of the systems we take development requests for, these are
useful and necessary, but on the other system, the development
manager *is* the administrator, and it makes perfect sense to make
another role to encapsulate them.