[Zope3-dev] a note on groups and roles

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:05:59 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:38:47AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> > FWIW, relatedly, I don't understand the use of the term "principal"
> > instead of "user" for the "entity with credentials" in Zope 3.
>
> Neither do I. For me "principal" means "headmaster". :-)

All humor aside, a request is presented with a set of an arbitrary
number of principals, some of which are users, some of which are
groups.  Some of them can even be neither (i.e. a principal that
gets presented if your machine is in a certain IP subnet, to give
someone extra rights if they're inside the company intranet.)