[Zope3-dev] Flexibility

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:09:11 +0000

Chris Withers wrote:

> Yes, BUT, the only reason that this was demanded is because Zope 2 got the first
> part of this stuff very very right: It should be dead simple to build small
> slightly dynamic websites.
>
> The Zope 2 paradigm of knocking up a python script or two, some ZPT's and using
> something like DTML Docs as content objects meant people could get going damn
> quick and with minimal effort.
>
> If they have to write several config files and interfaces, understand XML, some
> Zope specific XML dialect, the Zope configuration model, AND python AND ZPT and
> write their app then Zope 3 is gonna have a tough time appealing to new users,
> which given it's current place in the market and it's aim of growing 10x this
> year, seems to still be the main group to keep happy.

You are comparing apples to an entire fruit salad served with cream.

A better question is:

   Is it better to write filesystem products in Zope3 with
   XML + python + ZPT than it is to write filesystem products
   in Zope 2 with python + security declarations + ZPT/DTML + ...

I think the answer to that is "yes".

Considering simple Zope2 TTW development, you talked about a TTW
presentation component (ZPT), a TTW script (Python Script) and a generic
component to hold textual content (DTML Document).

I'm sure these things will be available in Zope 3, eventually, when the
basic system is a little more mature.

I think it is not helpful to compare Zope 3 filesystem products with
simple Zope 2 through-the-web systems.

--
Steve Alexander