[Zope3-dev] Flexibility

Myroslav Opyr myroslav@zope.net.ua
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:01:47 +0200

Steve Alexander wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>

>> Yes, BUT, the only reason that this was demanded is because Zope 2=20
>> got the first
>> part of this stuff very very right: It should be dead simple to build=20
>> small
>> slightly dynamic websites.
>>
>> The Zope 2 paradigm of knocking up a python script or two, some ZPT's=20
>> and using
>> something like DTML Docs as content objects meant people could get=20
>> going damn
>> quick and with minimal effort.
>>
>> If they have to write several config files and interfaces, understand=20
>> XML, some
>> Zope specific XML dialect, the Zope configuration model, AND python=20
>> AND ZPT and
>> write their app then Zope 3 is gonna have a tough time appealing to=20
>> new users,
>> which given it's current place in the market and it's aim of growing=20
>> 10x this
>> year, seems to still be the main group to keep happy.
>
> A better question is:
>
>   Is it better to write filesystem products in Zope3 with
>   XML + python + ZPT than it is to write filesystem products
>   in Zope 2 with python + security declarations + ZPT/DTML + ...

Filesystem products were the step into Zope learning curve.IMHO this=20
step was too high. Developer tried simple HTML first then DTML/ZPT them=20
PythonScripts and then own ZClass-based products. This path was normal,=20
gentle learning curve. Then there was filesystem product which was far=20
different from the TTW development path.

Only Zen could help developer to join non-TTW world.

Complication of non-TTW developemnt will turn the step in barrier.

Why not give some thunks from TTW development to filisystem?
For example,

    * some tools which will enable Configuration to be editable XML
      _and_ via Web interface somewhere in the Control_Panel/Products?
    * tools like make_product for easy-simplified creation/conversion of
      TTW product into filesystem product?

Maybe I am too shortsighted here... I am in non-TTW development for some=20
time but each time I have to start new product (for a spike or=20
proof-of-concept) this is something that make me feel bad and uncomfortab=
le.

Myroslav
--=20
Myroslav Opyr