[Zope3-dev] Relative links

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:59:48 -0500

    CW> Yup, this is prettymuch what I was suggesting. And, to be
    CW> honest, I don't see it as essential that it's
    CW> configurable. Once you've educated users and things like
    CW> absolute_url (or its Zope 3 equivalent) to generate URLs
    CW> ending in / for containerish objects, then the redirect won't
    CW> ever be called and so the BASE tag doesn't even need to be
    CW> supplied as an option...

I agree.  IMHO, the redirect hack is only necessary when you're
communicating a container url to a human being.  IOW, if I tell you --
in this email -- to go to

    http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw

that's fine, and Zope should redirect this to

    http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/

or better yet

    http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/index.html

But I believe that code should always use the canonical path to be as
explicit as possible.

-Barry