[Zope3-dev] Getting the parent object

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:39:43 -0600

Hello everyone,

In the last two days I had several times the urgent need to get to the
parent of an object, but now that we do not use Acquisition anymore, I
cannot use aq_parent, or can I? Also, based on the new structure, it seems
that based on the implementation of a container, getting the parent is not
always the same.

Unless there is a way to get back to the parent otherwise, I propose that
we set a __parent__ attribute in an object, when it is added to the
container. Therefore, all containers are required to implement that feature.

Please comment!

Regards,
Stephan

--