[Zope3-dev] naming issues: id vs name, delObject vs ?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 14:50:55 -0400

    RDM> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
    >> of English through computer documentation. :-) Is it the case
    >> that "delete" sounds more like "destroy"?

    RDM> Yes.  'delete' has the connotation of destroy, while 'remove'
    RDM> has the connotation of *not* destroying (ex: removing an
    RDM> object to some other location).  However, the two definately
    RDM> *do* shade into each other, and in many contexts are often
    RDM> synonomous (ex: deleting or removing a name from a list).

"delete" and "remove" are one of those cases where the shades of
meaning are different for everybody.  I think you can find cases where
delete and remove are used interchangably, and other cases where they
have subtly different meanings.

"In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

-Barry