[Zope3-dev] naming issues: id vs name, delObject vs ?

Luciano Ramalho ramalho@hiper.com.br
Fri, 10 May 2002 17:42:08 -0300

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm strongly in favor of 'name'.  The old ZMI interface asks for an
> "id" of the object, and I've always found that puzzling.  Calling it
> "name" would have made it much clearer.  I suppose at the code level
> the same argument applies.  (Plus, 'id' is a Python built-in function.)

This greatly depends on what "level" you are coming from. I=B4ve never ha=
d=20
to use the id() function in 5 years of writing Python code, perhaps=20
because I am a lowly "high level" programmer... I bet the average ZMI=20
user is not familiar with Python=B4s id() function either.

For the average ZMI user (or CMF user, for that matter), I think the=20
word "name" sounds too much like a person=B4s attribute, and when applied=
=20
to non-persons, can be too easily confused with "title" (as in "what=B4s=20
the name the last movie with Orson Welles").

+1 for id instead of name
+1 for delObject which is fine
+1 for camelCaps as the new Zope naming standard

--
Luciano