[Zope3-dev] interface conventions: default=_RAISE_ERROR

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 19:37:44 -0400

On Sunday 12 May 2002 07:05 pm, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 00:00, Gary Poster wrote:
> > Tres, should I construe your position as the official ZC position, and
> > remove my Guido-inspired approach from my sandbox, returning to the
> > marker?  Or follow some other course of action?  I have an opinion, which
> > I've stated, but beyond that I have zero interest in debating this issue
> > further: I'd rather just have a community consensus or a papal/ZC
> > directive, and move on.
>
> I was *not* speaking ex cathedra;  only Jim sits there. :)  Our process
> is a little weak on the issue of closure, so I am not sure how to
> proceed, either.  I think a "pure" marker, one which cannot possibly
> be confused with any *real* value passied by a client, is the essence
> here;  putting the Exception class in the interface as a default
> argument value smells funny, but I could live with it.  I don't think it
> removes the need for the "Raises FooError if not found, and no default
> is passed" in the docstring, in either case.

Agreed on all counts.

I would say that the pattern is inherently a bit funny-smelling, and that
this spelling of it in the argument signature merely clarifies the unusual
odor, but, as I've already said elsewhere in this thread, I still find value
in the pattern's brevity.

Gary