[Zope3-dev] renaming MementoBags..conclusions?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 14:26:14 -0400

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Ken Manheimer wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 May 2002, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >>So, let's rename IMementoBag to IAnnotations.
> >>
> >>(Note that I sneaked an 's' on the end to reflect the collection (bag;)
> >> nature of this thing.)
> >

> > I know i'm coming in a bit late, but want to add one other option to
> > consider: IIncidentals.
> >
> > The problem i have with IAnnotations is that "annotations" connotes
> > textual incidentals - notes, commentary.
> >
> > "Incidentals" connotes secondary accompaniment - things that impinge on
> > but aren't intrinsic parts of the subject.
> >
> > Maybe the mementos are restricted to discussions or other things that are,
> > in fact, commentary - in which case IAnnotations would be just right.
> > But if other kinds of things are also intended - registration of related
> > resources - then i think IIncidentals is a lot better.
>
> IMHO your insight actually leads me to believe even more that
> IAnnotations is the right name.  It's true that an annotation can be
> more than a string, but we learned from Zope 2 that we have to avoid
> storing objects of non-"core" types in annotations.

I don't want to limit these things this way. For example, I might
want to store objects that I can make security assertions about.
In any case, we're going to store complex objects (e.g. tuples
of dictionaries) in these things.

> Otherwise, when the
> user uninstalls something that created complex annotations, Zope can no
> longer load the annotated objects.

That's true of any object. Why does it matter more in the context of annotation?
I think it doesn't.