[Zope3-dev] Package organization quandry

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 13:15:15 -0400

    PKO> Especially as it relates to zodb, btrees, indexing and
    PKO> catalogues and other goodies that I am interested in using
    PKO> outside of Zope. Even better is if I can CVS each of these
    PKO> independently into my "code" directory (which is on the
    PKO> python path) as python packages and start using them without
    PKO> having to install them with distutils or move them or modify
    PKO> my pythonpath.

+10 back 'atcha!

BTW, I think we need to make some minor changes to distutils to make
this really convenient, but then again, who knows what Greg's got
hiding in distutils. :)

Specifically, I want the setup.py to live in the directory with the
source code, not in a parent directory.  I also want it to be able to
stitch together code that may exist elsewhere on the file system.

I also think we can do a little bit better to provide standard test
scripts that fiddle with sys.path for you, and possibly tie distutils
and unittest together so that you can distutils install, run, and test
from the unpack directory.

If I have some time, I'll try to dig into that a little bit.

-Barry