[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 ids, names, and unicode

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 19 May 2002 01:50:13 +0200

Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps we should stick to the term "id" for unique identifiers in
> containers. Note that content will also have titles and titles will be
> text, and, thus, unicode.

Apart from the whole unicode debate, I don't think we should use
'id' and I'm leaning towards 'name' after thinking about this.

'id' to me implies unique identifier, but if I understand it correctly,
in Zope 3, these *aren't* uniques, as multiple ones in different
folders can refer to the same object.

This mirrors what names in Python can do, so the use of the word 'name'
sounds a lot better to me.

Whether they should be allowed to contain any character encodings.. it
is a general common denominator problem; if we were coding for the
browser only, I'd be inclined to say no. But we are not. So I don't know.

Regards,

Martijn