[Zope3-dev] Translation question

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Mon, 20 May 2002 11:09:07 +0200

Jim Fulton wrote:

>Are translations done on a product-by-product basis, or system wide?
>
>We are defining a translation *service* that supports system-wide translation,
>allowing translations to be shared among multiple applications. It's not clear to
>me whether people will actually do translations that way, or whether translations
>will be performed for individual applications or subsystems. I's really like
>some input on this.

I believe that generally translation is done on a branch-by-branch basis.

I can have a website where the toplevel is english, and one sublevel is
danish, another german etc. Then it would be nice to be able to set the
language at any one level of the tree, and then all objects in that
branch would automatically use that language.

So I think that a good approach would be to have a i18n class that could
be dropped into a container, and then all objects below that level would
be translated to the selected langugage with the translations in that
"Virtual Language Monster".

A bit like a Virtual Host Monster.

regards Max M