[Zope3-dev] Controller package name

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 18:07:40 -0400

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:35:25PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Matt Behrens wrote:

> > system for Zope 2.  Briefly: a 'zope' script is installed on the
> > system that can be given commands, such as 'zope start instance',
> > 'zope stop instance', etc.; all but a few of those commands are
> > defined by and implemented by a special package that is part of the
> > software home, currently 'ZopeControl'.  Basically, the utility
> > imports this package, and calls the function corresponding to the
> > subcommand given.

> What else will this thing do? Wi
>
> Will it start and stop ZEO servers? Anything else? Is there
> a proposal associated with this project?

The proposal for Zope 2 is InstallationAndConfiguration.  In Zope
2, it'll create instances, start/stop standalones, start/stop ZEO
clients and servers.  I imagine it will do much the same in Zope
3, though it can certainly do more or less.

The package is the meeting point for the script and the Zope software
that it's controlling.  The script has just enough smarts to locate
the directory where the software (packages) is stored and imports
the control package to actually implement the commands.  That way,
the script is essentially future-proof, and different Zope software
versions can implement the commands, or add new commands, in their
own way.

You can see about half of this code in the Zope module, on the
zigg_unix-install-control-config-branch.  Keep in mind it's about
50% done; I'm mostly using the CVS branch to shuffle it between
UNIX systems to test compatibility.

(Incidentally, rdmurray gave his +1 for Zope.App.Control on IRC.)