[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Alpha 1 in 2002

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:28:50 +0000

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I think before we assume this, someone should put some effort into
> describing the
> rational for this. The meta-data in ZCatalog is a historical accident.
> It's
> real benefit is as an optimzation for search results, but I think it's
> worth
> considering how important this optimization *really* is, before
> inventing yet-another
> service to support it.

Well, I agree from a newbie perspective. It's hard trying to explain to
Squishdot users that the things they get back from searches aren't the actual
thing they look like.

That said, waking up large objects and/or performing complex calculations to
show search results seems silly.

I like the way Lucene does this. When you specify an attribute name, you specify
if it's indexed, if it's store and if it's fed through a lexicon/splitter.

Now, here I'd say we want to specify for each name:

1. What type of index to use

2. Whether or not to store/cache the value

3. Maybe a chain of processors to pre-process the attribute value before
indexing. I'm thinking lexicons, splitters, filters and the like here.

That way, the whole kaboodle is all part of the Indexing Service.

cheers,

Chris