[Zope3-dev] RoadMap

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom@aragne.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:24:49 +0100

Hi all,

Godefroid and myself agreed to help Jim on maintaining the roadmap, so
we got to start doing some things.
We all have jobs besides working on Zope, so we know you are busy, but I
hope you sometimes don't mind us asking you some time to give us
information from your project, so we can fill in the global picture and
make other people happy.

This is the first round in order to find out who's working on which
subprojects and where that subject is heading to. Below is the roadmap
Jim announced this week, it would be nice if you can say where your
Zope3 job is situated, what the status is (level of completeness) and
very important as well, describe the project a little bit (refine te
definition/content of the item).

When we've collected the informaton of all the people, we'll put it
somewhere on the web and adjust that page after every interrogation.

 Features

      - An initial management interface including folders and various
        content types such as files, images, DTML pages, ZPT pages,
        and SQL scripts.

        It is likely that the default interface will be ugly. We
        encourage folks to help us beautify it.

      - A framework for configuring and installing file-system-based
        products.

      - A through-the-web configuration and development system based
        on services. Services are similar to CMF tools except that
        they are managed in service managers, rather than in folders.

        A number of predefined services will be included:

        - Simple authentication service (similar to Zope 2's
          original user folder).

        - Event service.

        - RDB Connection service. This is used to manage database
          connection objects used by SQL scripts.

        - Translation service, to manage software (as opposed to
          content) translation services.

        - Caching service.

        - Site error reporting service (like Zope 2's site error log)

        - Browser ID service

        - Temporary Data service (similar to a Zope 2 temporary
          folder)

        - Session service

        - Virtual host service

        - Role service

        - Interface service, for browsing and changing configuration
          by interface.

        - Adapter service

        - View services

        - Some of mail delivery service service

        - Object Hub, which tracks object locations, allowing
          location-independent object references

        - Indexing service, supporting pluggable indexes and searching
          and lightweight metadata for results

        Through the web development will take place in packages, which
        can contain:

        - Persistent python modules

        - Templates

        - Component instances

        - Configuration objects

        Configuration objects are used to configure component
        instances and component factories and register with the
        appropriate services.

      - A file-system synchronization system.  Initially, this will
        use a CVS-like command-line tool.  It allows objects to be
checked out
        of Zope to the file system, modified and then checked back
        in. Objects can be added on the file systems and changes made
        in the database and on the file-system can be merged.

Thanks in advance,
The annoying roadmappers :-)