[Zope3-dev] Sprintathon: searching?

kapil thangavelu kvthan@wm.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:44:06 -0800

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 02:57 am, Chris Withers wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
> >> An open problem that's not really solved completely in the Zope2 case
> >> (I believe) is how to extract the indexable text from an object once
> >> it is decided that it should be indexed.
> >
> > In Zope3, I guess there will be an interface, ISearchableText, that
> > defines a getSearchableText() method, and adapters from most content
> > types to that interface. (Change spelling according to taste.)
>
> I'm not sure this specific case is best solved by an interface. Afterall,
> what you want to index is often best specified in the indexer, not the
> object being indexed.

umm. i think thats what steve is saying. the object itself knows nothing of
the interface, the adapter handles the object. so neither the catalog nor the
the object are specifying whats to be indexed. best specification is left in
the hands of the developers or slipping through that into the hands of the
default.

-k