[Zope3-dev] Sprintathon: searching?

kapil thangavelu kvthan@wm.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:55:16 -0800

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 05:14 am, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Janko Hauser wrote:

<snip>

> > Think one wants to have to different indices, one
> > for anonymous searches and another for managment, where different
> > versions of a document or document content parts are indexed.
>
> That's an interesting use-case. Can you expand on that, perhaps
> explaining a scenario where you've needed this separation?
> If you want to email it to me, I'll put it up on a suitable wiki page
> once I've put one up for cataloguing use-cases.

i've had deal to with with the issues janko's raised as relates to the cmf and
compound documents and content versioning, though i admit i didn't attempt to
use separate indexes for a solution, still its probably good material for the
use cases.  ie a composite document composed of individually managed pieces
with separate workflow which are only visible within the container document
(including non-visibility in catalog searches), so the search results for the
same document vary according to user roles. with content versioning (using
zope version control), a document would go from a published state to an
editable state (taking a snapshot of the content before it leaves the
published state), while still leaving only the published version searchable
and viewable to non authorized users.

on a general level its fairly common in the cmf, ie varying search results by
user based on roles as content often changes visibility via security
manipulation. the cmf does it via constructing an object wrapper that indexes
security info as well, and doing an implicit addition of the query terms for
the current user's security, which works well when you look at a content
object as a discrete entity.

-kapil