[Zope3-dev] interface implementation errors

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:47:20 +0100

Guido Wesdorp wrote:
> On Friday 08 November 2002 13:24, Steve Alexander wrote:
> >
> > In the interface IPersistent.py, _p_independent is described as being an
> > optional method that a persistent object type can define to return true
> > if it wants to declare it isn't bothered about read conflicts.
> >
> Maybe due to my lack of fully understanding OO and interfaces, but to me it
> sounds like _p_independent shouldn't be defined on the interface, I think
> interfaces should describe the members that should be implemented to ensure
> proper functioning of the object in the context the interface is built for,
> and no more.

I think this is actually the case.  Zope3 is quite advanced with the
interface machinery, btw.

> For this reason I think we (the Zope3 sprint doc team) should
> use objects rather than interfaces to document Zope, since the objects can
> define more members than defined on the interfaces.

But more members may well be 'implementation detail'.  I think first of
all should come interfaces and their descriptions.  i agree with Jim here
that we should write and extend docstrings for existing and/or
non-existing stuff.

But i'd also like to do some coding and i am still convinced that
cross-referencing doc-utils are needed. Cross-referencing is
actually *the* keyword here.

regards,

    holger