[Zope3-dev] Workflow -> trying to summarize today's chat APPcentric wf

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:46:14 -0500

sathya wrote:
>>    <hathaway_> In application-centric workflow, you choose a verb, and
>> then a noun.
>>
>>    Example: TBD
>

> I would like to know how to diffrentiate between the two. It seems like
> a chicken and egg problem. I wonder how can you choose a verb
> without having a premonition of what object you want to apply it to.  If
> I click a button called submit which is a verb that triggers some events
> I have already made a decision on what object it is applicable to .I
> would appreciate any insights.

Actually, Ulrich's example below is an example of choosing the verb
before the noun.

>>       If an customer requests an order .. all the person, who takes
>>       this order wants to do is: Order something and let the system
>>       choose what needs to be done with this request.

In this process, the user chooses "order something" before choosing what
to order.  Verb then noun.

In an object-centric user interaction, the user chooses an object (say,
a sweater) then says what to do with it (order it).  Noun then verb.  In
either case, by the time you click a submit button, in a sense you have
chosen both a verb and a noun.

The difference is subtle but important.  In the procedural mindset (verb
then noun), verbs are more important, while in the object-oriented
mindset (noun then verb), nouns are more important.  People who design
workflows (and user interfaces) tend to think one way or the other.  The
object-oriented approach scales better, but not many non-geeks
understand it well.  So it must be possible to do either one.

That was pretty abstract, I hope it made sense. :-)

Shane