[Zope3-dev] DOS file endings not allowed in text files in CVS

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:23:50 -0500

A number of source files have been checked into the Zope 3 repository
with DOS line endings.  The problem is aggrevated by the fact that
many files have mixed line endings. My editor detects "DOS" files when
all lines have DOS line endings and hides the carriage returns, but when
the endings are mixed, it can't assume DOS line endings and it shows the
extra control-M characters, which makes the code harder to read.

I really don't want DOS line endings checked into CVS and I'm going to start
getting on people's case when they cause DOS line endings to get checked in.

DOS line endings seem to get into files under the following scenario:

- Someone checks Zope out on a Unix/Linux machine into an area
   that is shared with windows machines (presumably using samba).

- They edit the files on windows using an editor that inserts
   carriage returns, Some seem to only insert carriage returns on new
   lines.

- They check in the changes on Unix.  The unix cvs client doesn't
   do any special transformation to the files and they get checked into
   CVS.

What they should do is one of the following:

1. Use a CVS windows client

    - Check out on windows

    - Edit files on windows

    - Check in the changes on windows

    Note you can still run and test on unix if you check into
    a shared file system.

2. Do all the work on windows. I'm sorry to say that I'm
    not familiar with running Zope 3 on windows, so I don't
    know if this poses any difficulties.

3. Edit the files on Unix. I can recommend a good editor. ;)