[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Consolidation of Zope 3 UI wiki pages

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:54:45 +0100

Hi!

I've added quite a lof of stuff here last night:
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ZopeUI (see
the three new pages at the top)

It's just my personal "file dump" on the topic, but maybe it is helpful. As
you might note, most of it is quite down-to-earth.

> > If ASP.net provides developers with a UI to drag&drop-build
> > validating web forms, Zope has to have something similar. Which does
> > not
> > necessarily mean that we also need a drag&drop thingie, but we need a
> > tool
> > (or an approach) that is similarly efficient.

> I can sympathize with this position, but please understand that
> statement like "Zope has to have something similar" don't really mean
> much.  Zope will have what people are willing to provide.  If someone
> is willing to study what MS did, then provide something like that in
> Zope, then it might become part of Zope. **

Sorry, but that kind of approach is not getting you anywhere, and
discouraging people will not help either ... :-(

I personally have offered my help, but if you don't need it, I can still
spend my time on other topics ...

With regard to the to-do list Stephan has presented:

Of course all of that stuff has to be done. But that's not the task of the
people who do the visual and/or functional design of the new UI. If you want
to have copy & paste, all you need to demonstrate that in the UI mockup is a
nice set of icons. Whether the copy is stored in a cookie or a session or
whatever can be handled by the programmers later.

Depending on what kind of skills the people at the Sprintathon will have,
some of the open technichal issues might be tackled there. But how do you
want to build a framework for an UI if you don't even discuss what it should
be good for first?

Joachim

** "Zope will have what people are willing to provide." -- Do you think that
was the approach of projects like KDE, or even Linux? No, they usually
started with something in mind (Windows, Unix) and the vision to at least be
as good. The way you are talking about all that sounds to me like
discouraging Linus from even thinking about how useful an X Server for Linux
could be just because it definitely won't make it into the first release of
Linux ...