[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Denying commit for carriage returns in text

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
14 Nov 2002 13:20:24 -0500

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 05:57, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 November 2002 11:26 pm, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> > Ken Manheimer writes:
> >  > 1. If we were to do this, i think we should limit the checks to python
> >  >    files only.  (We don't want to prevent people from checking in .bat
> >  >    files with CR line endings, do we?)
> >
> > Er, yes.  They are text files, and the CVS client is supposed to
> > normalize those.
>
> So what mistake will get caught by this filter?

Some folk seem to work in an environment which defeats the
normalization.  E.g., they prefer to edit using Windows tools, but
maintain their checkout on a Unix box, sharing the files via Samba.

Most programmer's editors for Windows can be configured *not* to
include CRs in source;  folks who want to work in such an environment
may forget to run 'crlf.py', 'dos2unix', or whatever, for the files
touched by tools that don't / won't.

Tres.