[Zope3-dev] Don't check in files with names differing only in case.

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:24:46 -0500

[Jim Fulton]
> Speaking of Windows....
>
> I managed to check in a file with a name that differed only in case from
> the name of an existing file, which causes problems on Windows. Bad me.
>
> Don't do that either. :)

Other things to avoid for Windows:

+ opening binary files in text mode (the default)

+ trying to unlink/remove a file that's still open

+ fork()

+ signals

+ file I/O, things that call malloc, things that call free, things
  that take longer to run than the Windows mean-time between forced
  reboots, binary files, text files, HTML, C, Java, Open Source,
  privacy, security, email, large files, small files, and anything
  having to do with a network

Follow these simple rules, and 100% x-platform programming is a 100%
pleasant empty set <wink>.