[Zope3-dev] Dates and times

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:34:01 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>  > Leave all zeroes for the year/month/day part
>>
>>> (currently datetime doesn't allow this)?
>>

>> Wrong too.
>

> Why? I knwo this has been a bugbear of many peiople with Zope 2's
> DateTime...

Huh? What's been a bubear? We're talking about using year=0, month=0, and
day=0 to mean that we don't care about the date. This is a bad idea.
I've never heard of anyone wanting to do this with Zope 2's DateTime.

>>> (which perhaps should always be positive, i.e. some sort of modular
>>> arithmetic (modulo 24 hours)), and adding an interval to a time (also
>>> mod 24 hours).
>>

>> No. No. No. No math on times. :)
>

> I see the smiley, not sure what it means. Maths on times is pretty
> essential IMHO.

Do you realize that we're talking about time of day, not date-time.
If I have a value like "4:30" without a date, why would math be essential?

 > So, what did the smiley mean? :-)

It didn't really mean much of anything other than that I didn't want
Marius to be put off by the emphatic "no".