[Zope3-dev] setting up roadmap

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:19:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Tom Deprez wrote:
> sure, as a first step we would like to know:
>
> 1. What a person is doing on Zope3

I'm currently noodling about in the Configuration system (zcml).

> 2. How/where this project fits in the document roadmap of Jim

What I'm doing doesn't appear on the roadmap.  But then, nothing
about documentation appears on the roadmap (and that's mostly
what I'm playing with: self-documenting metaconfiguration).

> 3. The project leader of that project (to which we can ask questions
> concerning the project)

I'm on my own :)

> 4. The status of the project (level of completeness)

I've finished the basic code, but need to backport the existing docs
into the meta.zcml files, and then start bugging code authors for
enough info to document the remaining directives (the vast majority!)

It is possible that the Infre Sprintathon doc project will tackle
this, but I haven't talked to that team about it yet.

> 5. Small introduction to the project so other people can dive into it. This
> doesn't have to be big, just see it as a very small prelude to a chapter of
> a book.

Well, the info I gave to Gary for the last Zope3 mini-newsletter is
about as much intro as anyone would need.

There *are* some other things I'm thinking about, though:

    o figuring out some way to enforce the use of attribute
        subdirectives so that the meta-configuration *has*
        to match the actual usage of the configuration directives
        in order for zope to run (currently, you can enable
        a new attribute in code and use it in a directive without
        changing the metaconfiguration of that directive, which
        leaves a nasty auto-doc hole)

    o introspecting the returned actions so I can auto-document
        what the non-meta directives actually *do* in a configured
        zope system

    o modifying the directive registry to store more information
        about configuration during normal zope running,
        possibly including the meta configuration docstrings.
        (the former part is an expressed wish of Jim's, the
        latter a suggestion by Stephan Richter).

--RDM