[Zope3-dev] Page Designs merged into ZopeTop

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:47:11 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> What I *really* wanted was targets that are actually larger than the
> element on the page... say, 4 pixels on each side.  That way we could
> have very small or even invisible targets, and the separators wouldn't
> be necessary.  But I couldn't find a good way to do this.  Do any CSS
> gurus know if there's a way to position an element relative to another
> element without affecting the flow?  It would be a mix of "position:
> relative" and "display: none", yet visible.

Cool stuff!

(used to be pretty good at CSS et al :-): I'm pretty sure that what you
describe doesn't exist.

I wrote something similar a year or two ago, for IE only (pre-stable
Mozilla), ugly and hackish internally, but I think UI-wise it worked
well.  FWIW, I would suggest eliminating the separators and comparing
the overlap between the moved box and the nearest other boxes to
determine the new order.  This worked pretty well as an intuitive
experience.  I was building a tree of boxes with my UI, rather than a
column, so the logic got a bit hairy in places, but for a column this
shouldn't be that bad...

Gary