[Zope3-dev] Re: date parsing: explicit is better

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:21:03 +0100

--On Freitag, 22. November 2002 15:11 +0000 Steve Alexander
<steve@cat-box.net> wrote:

> In Zope 2, the string '05-11-2002' is parsed by DateTime into the 11th
> May 2002.
>
> This is the US month-day-year convention for writing dates, used
> thoughout the US, except when the ISO standard of 2002-05-11 is used, and
> except on immigration forms, where I guess the immigration service
> discovered that non-Americans find the American format confusing.
>
> The European convention for writing dates is to parse the string
> '05-11-2002' as 5th November 2002. The day-month-year convention.

I have no over view over all date formats but does not the usage of
dots inside the date mean DD.MM.YYYY and not MM.DD.YYYY. In understanding
the US notation with '-' implies MM-DD-YYYY. But I am not sure
if this right :)

Cheers,
Andreas
   -    Andreas Jung                     http://www.andreas-jung.com   -
  -   EMail: andreas at andreas-jung.com                              -
   -            "Life is too short to (re)write parsers"               -