[Zope3-dev] Re: date parsing: explicit is better

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:39:48 +0100

--On Freitag, 22. November 2002 09:27 -0500 Stephan Richter
<stephan.richter@tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Friday 22 November 2002 09:21, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> I have no over view over all date formats but does not the usage of
>> dots inside the date mean DD.MM.YYYY and not MM.DD.YYYY. In understanding
>> the US notation with '-' implies MM-DD-YYYY. But I am not sure
>> if this right :)
>
> Unfortunately, the US starts to use MM.DD.YYYY more and more. That really
> starts to screw things up and makes everything much more confusing than
> it  needs to be. :-(

Looks like dates formats are more evil than Zope sometimes ;-)
But an explicit API or a switch for the parse() method that controls the
format would solve the problems for most cases. if you tell the use to use
format XXXXXX then you can enforce this format on the API level.

Andreas